Saturday, October 31, 2015

Catalytic convertor stopped up?


I have an 99 ford ranger with 3.0L ff and its 4wd… Not that it matters if its 4wd. Anyways, it has set a lean code on bank 2 upstream and keeps bogging down and then picks up and takes off good. Now, I know I could just hook up a vaccum gage to upstream O2 sensor… Or for that matter remove it and see how it runs… But its rainy here and I have no inside garage to work in. So, just lookin for some opinions as this is my daily driver to the shop where I work. Also, as a side note I would like to mention that I hooked up my fuel pressure guage to the fuel rail and it held at 65-70 psi at idle and a consistent 65 psi at operating speeds… BUT if the vehicle is off and you turn the key to on position, the fuel pumps to 65 and then drops rapidly to 0. The fuel rain should be holding pressure. This leads me to think there may be a possible fuel pump issue, but again, the psi seems to hold consistent once the engine is operating. Soooo… I am back to thinking of the cat.

Read more: Catalytic convertor stopped up?