Saturday, April 25, 2015

Am I overpaying for car insurance?

Hello,

At the moment I drive a 2013 Ford Focus SE. I got it at the start of June last year (2013), and since then have had no accidents, no tickets, no warnings, no incidents of any kind. I'll be 19 next month, and currently attend a University and maintain a 3.7 GPA, and I live in Michigan.

Currently I am insured with State Farm for a $500 deductible, and I pay about $304 a month for car insurance. Now I understand I drive a new car and that generally ramps the cost up, but how in hell do some people my age have the same coverage as I do, yet only pay $100 a month for cars that are just as new and a lot more expensive? (i.e, camaro, mustang, etc). By the way I do believe I have coverage for rental car and tow service.

I know state farm is a reputable company that won't necessarily screw me like some other companies might, but are they overcharging me for this? I'm a full time college student and my net income at the moment is just barely enough to cover this, gas, and the 200 a month the actual car costs. (It's a lease for 3 years)

Read more: Am I overpaying for car insurance?