Saturday, August 22, 2015

Advice on clutch control?


Hi, I've just bought my first car, a used Vauxhall Corsa 1.2 55 plate. Really excellent condition. Trouble is, I can't seem to pull away right. The car reacts differently every time I try something different. Most of the time it goes, quickly shudders, and then zooms off too fast. Haven't stalled it much, at least not as much as the family fiats I've practised in, but I'm worried because I only got a smooth pull away two or three times this week. Not sure what I was doing differently. Uphill is a massive struggle (also because I can't get the handbrake up high enough with my meagre arm muscles, which is a different matter).

I know all cars are different. The one I learned in, a diesel 1.6 ford fiesta, was amazing, and my boyfriend's new ford ka is fine. Just can't seem to get the hang of this one.

Has anyone had this kind of trouble with a Vauxhall? Any advice for a not particularly experienced driver? Or different ways of getting the biting point?

Read more: Advice on clutch control?