Friday, August 14, 2015

Buying first car. I'm going for a used one. Is this a good choice?


Requirements: driving to work and back 4 days a week = 8 mile round trip (or 32 miles a week). Mostly consisting of slow commuter traffic.

weekend driving further afield to nice places to walk the dog. This is a total estimate, but I'd say anything from 30-80 miles a weekend on average which will include faster driving (motorways/dual carriage ways etc.)

on top of that probably 2 or 3 longer drives a year to see family (who live 200 miles away) or go on holiday somewhere further afield.

All in all I make that somewhere in the region of 5-7k miles a year.

I'm looking at a Ford Fiesta diesel. Main reason for the diesel being that my partner has had a food operation in the past and finds the clutch on petrols tricky as there isn't much leeway for error and, due to her operation, holding the clutch on a hill in a petrol can be difficult for her and is likely to stall.

Anyway, I have 2 in mind at the moment. A 2010 model with 100k miles on it at £4k, or a 2011 model with 100k miles at £4.6k

I could go more expensive and buy something nearer the £6k mark that has less mileage, but due to the amount I'm likely to use it, is it worth spending that extra £1-2k for less mileage?

Any advice with explanations welcome!

Read more: Buying first car. I'm going for a used one. Is this a good choice?