Saturday, September 5, 2015

Would you go with a certified pre-owned 2011 Ford Explorer XLT or a new 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X? Why?


I'm in college and I work. Going into Paleontology field and do off-roading. Price is important, but so is practicality. Comfort is obviously nice, but functionality is great. I commute 1.5 hours to school throughout the week so, mpg is important. I use the cargo space. The Explorer has more seating, but I don't need more seating. It also has much more cargo space, with all seats down it has 6ft of space (like a standard truck bed). I would actually use that space to buy supplies and things from Home Depot. I love the Xterra, but idk, like the explorer too & I think I get more for my money with the explorer, but it isn't all necessary. Both off road capable, but Xterra is just made for it. Tell me what you think.

Ford Explorer;
2011
leather seats
dual sunroof
more cargo space
nice interior
better mpg
up to 7 seats (2nd & 3rd row fold down)
carpeted cargo area can get dirty
50,000 miles
$24500

Xterra;
2015
better ground clearance
better for getting down & dirty
Roof mounted lights
roof cargo box
anchor points in trunk
5 seats
plastic, durable cargo area
durable, plastic interior, nothing fancy
new so close to no miles
$28500

Both have hill descent control, hill start assist, locking rear differential, 4wd.

Explorer has settings for different terrains like snow, mud, rocks. & Trailer stability control
Xterra has off road suspension.

Will rarely be off road until a few years down the road, but plan to have whichever one for a long time. Major off-roading each summer in MT.

Read more: Would you go with a certified pre-owned 2011 Ford Explorer XLT or a new 2015 Nissan Xterra Pro-4X? Why?