It's seems whenever i mention New Zealand or Canada they just assume its another part of Australia or America, its happened to me more than once
when I watching a TVNZ news report a nextdoor neighbour over heard it and said 'It's Australia' so I put on Canadian comedian Russell Peters to try them out to see if they'd say American but they heard it was Canadian anyway
I played the song 'Team' by Lorde and someone maybe teenagers overheard it and saying 'oh yeah that's Lorde, oh yeah she's from Australia'
and I felt offended since Lorde is from New Zealand and they refuse to acknowledge where an artist is really from
Then another time I mentioned about New Zealand and someone again said 'New Zealand, that's Australia'
I'm like New Zealand is about the same size of British Isles yet they still ignorantly think it's part of Australia
And then when Rob Ford died I mentioned he was a mayor from Canada and someone overhead and said 'Canada, that's North America'
but I'm not sure if they said it either about the continent of North America or ignorantly just thinking it's in the Northern United States
Then another time again after that I mentioned Canada and someone said 'Canada, that's America'
whenever someone says America, they mean the USA not the continent, same as Britain means the UK
It goes go as this saying, it's not what's in size, it's what's inside
btw the United Kingdom also has more people than Canada, Australia, New Zealand and Republic of Ireland all combined
Read more: Do British people think New Zealand is part of Australia or Canada is part of America?