Monday, August 24, 2015

96 Explorer won t start after sitting for a few years?


I have a 1996 Ford Explorer, V8, 4.6L. It s been sitting in my driveway for several years because it didn t pass inspection, supposedly due to an EGR valve/regulator and I didn t have the money at the time to fix it. Well I ve finally decided to try to sell it and want to at least get it to start. Last summer I put in a new battery and about a gallon of fresh gas and it started right up. Slacked off on starting it regularly so it sat a while longer. I ve recently replaced the battery and added a little more fresh gas but it won t start up now. It cranks strong, like it wants to start and all lights come on but it just won t catch. I know this isn t exactly uncommon, but what has me wondering is that the fuel gauge is stuck at full, although I know there is maybe a 1/4 tank or so in it. I don t know if possibly I dislodged some sludge or something when I started it last year that may he possibly screwed up this sensor and clogged a fuel line or something. I m pretty handy but by no means a mechanic so I m just tossing out ideas. I did check the fuel pump reset and that seems to be fine, as do all of the fuses. Not really sure where else to go from there. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Read more: 96 Explorer won t start after sitting for a few years?