Saturday, January 2, 2016

1993 ranger loud whine in gear & slight noise in neutral?


Ford ranger 1993 stick.
So I had a low whining sound that would be slightly noticeable in first gear. But then I went to my mom's and had the truck sitting for 5 days, I live in Minnesota & the 10 inches of snow and cold hit. When I got home I started and moved it, seemed fine. Still a little high pitched whine. That night I had to work and the whining sound was louder thru 1st 2nd & 3rd. On my way home from work I shifted into 5th. (4Th gear had no whine sound) and noticed the 5th had a low whine sound. Was going about 75 when my truck made like shifting without clutch engaging and just shut off. I popped the hood and the belt and pulleys are all tight. Got back in and started. Now in idle there's a noise. 1St 2nd 3rd all are extremely loud whine/grind sound. 4Th has a low hum. Limped home in 4th gear. I can still shift into the first 4 gears( didn't try putting it in 5th) but there's that terribly loud sound. It was difficult to shift at first but was easier after a couple stop & go's. Got home and shut it off. Checked fluids & there good. Didn't check the tranny fluid because it was ******* cold and I didn't feel like getting under the truck to check. So I'm wondering what you would think it could be… & if it helps at all the sound started happening after my dad tied chains to my truck & to a tree to make it fall in a certain direction. And he said it sounded like low power steering for some reason that I forgot, but topped off PSteering fluid.

Read more: 1993 ranger loud whine in gear & slight noise in neutral?