Tuesday, October 27, 2015

2010 Ford Fusion SEL steering rack and pinion, should I replace?


I'm looking for a mechanic with some experience with this problem.

I have a 2010 Ford Fusion SEL that had a flat tire when my wife woke up in the morning. Filled the tire up and the power steering was gone, with a message that said service power steering now.

Got it to a shop and I am told it is the steering rack and pinion. This is an 2300 fix with a 3 month wait after labor, or a 1300 fix if I get one from salvage. I decided to go with one from salvage.

On carcomplaints.com there are several reports with this happening to other folks with the same car right after the tire goes flat.

Obviously I run the risk of it happening again especially going with the rack from salvage. What I don't know is how high the odds are.

Is this a computer problem that is causing certain Fusions' steering racks to fail when the tire goes flat? If that is the case I would assume it will happen again very soon especially if I get a flat tire.

Or do I have a good chance of it not happening again by replacing the rack because there is no possible relation? The mechanic I am working with says there is no relation but I find it odd that several people had the same problem right after a flat tire.

Thanks for the help.

Read more: 2010 Ford Fusion SEL steering rack and pinion, should I replace?